Fermilab seeks a postdoctoral Research Associate to explore connections between high-energy physics (HEP) and quantum information science (QIS). We are developing superconducting quantum bits to serve as low-noise microwave photon counters, in experiments to discover axion dark matter. This is an opportunity to contribute your expertise to our HEP-QIS program. You will have some freedom to pursue your own related experimental ideas and scholarship.
Positions are for a period of up to three (3) years, with the potential for extension considered on a yearly basis thereafter.
You will be joining a collegial group and a positive environment. We will help you establish an excellent research portfolio, paving the way for the next step in your career. We will encourage and facilitate collaborative relationships with researchers at other institutions, across a range of scientific disciplines.
At Fermilab, we respect, understand, and value differences that embody principles of diversity and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from members of groups that are underrepresented in science and technology.
Qualifications and essential job functions:
• a PhD in experimental physics or a related field;
• a strong record of recent accomplishments in experimental physics or a related field;
• demonstrated oral and written communication skills, as well as interpersonal skills;
• creative problem-solving skills (independent and collaborative); and
• willingness to abide by all environmental, safety, and health regulations.
Competitive candidates may have work experience with some/all of the following:
• helium dilution refrigerators;
• microwave electronics;
• cryogenic test stands;
• quantum electronics, including qubits and Josephson parametric amplifiers; and/or
• the physics of axion dark matter.
Human Factors: Mental Concentration, Sitting, Tight Work Schedule, and Visually Demanding. In addition, the ability to travel by automobile and/or commercial air carrier both domestically and internationally may be required.