YQI is currenlty evaluating the possibility to offer YQI Fellowships for 2021. We are following the guidance of the university regarding the safety measures for Covid19 and will update the information on this page as soon as a decision is taken. For any questions, or if you want to be updated weither we offer the Fellowship this year, email email@example.com.
The Yale Quantum Institute (YQI), founded in 2014, serves as a forum to bring together experimental and theoretical researchers at Yale in the field of quantum information physics, quantum optics and nanophotonics, optomechanics, mesoscopic physics, quantum control, quantum measurement, and quantum many-body physics. It provides a synergistic and collaborative setting for Yale’s cutting edge research in these fields. A recent report from University Science Strategy Committee identified quantum science as one of Yale’s top priorities and recommends the expansion of existing Yale quantum efforts at a scale that will attract international attention and place Yale in a position of broad intellectual leadership.
In keeping with the mission of the YQI, we are pleased to invite applicants for the YQI postdoctoral fellowships. These Fellowships will support research in the field of quantum science for recent Ph.D. recipients in the group of any of the YQI faculty members. Candidates should have demonstrated excellent research ability in their prior work and exceptional promise for future leadership in their field of interest. Each candidate should indicate clearly which research group (or in special cases, groups) they intend to work with.
A selection committee will review each application and evaluate the candidates based on the quality of their previous work (thesis and publications) and their potential for original research, within their proposed research group. Finalists will be invited to campus to give a research seminar and interview with YQI faculty members, starting in December 2019. Preliminary interviews may be conducted online as well.
- YQI fellowships are intended for researchers within 3 years of their Ph.D.
- The research interest of the fellows should match those of the faculty mentors and fall into areas matching the mission of the YQI.
- Non-US citizens must be eligible to obtain a J-1 Scholar visa status for the duration of the Fellowship. Non-English native speakers will be required to prove English language proficiency prior to award.
Terms of Appointment
- YQI fellowships are granted for a period of 2 years starting generally at the beginning of the academic year, but alternative starting states can be considered.
- The institute provides a stipend of $65,000 per year plus healthcare benefits, with an annual standard raise of 2% each year on subsequent anniversary dates.
- YQI fellows receive an annual $5,000 discretionary research fund.
- YQI fellows will have extra outreach responsibilities (e.g., contacting “YQI-sister institute fellows” at other universities and creating a network, organizing a conference or a workshop, or teaching a short YQI course) determined at the time of hiring.
- All other aspects of the YQI fellowship position will follow standard Yale policies for postdoctoral appointments. For more details, please check this website.
- Opening for 2020 Fellowship applications: July 1, 2019
- Application deadline: November 17, 2019 at 11:59 pm ET
- Rounds of interviews (videocall or on site): November-December 2019
- Acceptance notification: January 2020
- Enrolment & potential visa application: Spring 2020
- YQI Fellowship start: Fall 2020 (flexible)
To apply, please upload in a single PDF file the following documents on the Interfolio portal before November 17, 2019 at 11:59 pm ET:
- cover letter describing (i) your past training, (ii) research interests, (iii) the group you intend to work in and potential research topics/projects you intend to pursue at Yale, and (iv) your career goals.
- curriculum vitae.
- reprints of selected publications (3 maximum),
- contact information for a minimum of three references
Feel free to contact Florian Carle, YQI Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org or (203)436-9153 for more information.
Yale University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. Yale values diversity among its students, staff, and faculty and strongly welcomes applications from women, persons with disabilities, protected veterans, and underrepresented minorities.